Okay. Okay. Collective gut-check time. - Mongologue
Okay. Okay. Collective gut-check time.|
Some of you folks know I own the mongoose.net domain name. I got it fairly early on, it's been graciously hosted by Francisco on the critter.net server. I *like* the domain. It's nice to be able to send off missives from mongoose @ mongoose.net.
That said, I've received an offer- seeming legitimate- offering purchase of the domain for $1400. That's.. a good chunk of money, roughly a month's pay for me. The purchaser would be able to meet all my requirements which I've had in mind if I ever did sell the domain: Three months email account forwards, other things.
Now, I do have another domain at furhoo.com. Not a bad domain to have, and it's where I wanted to port the mongoose.net Anthroportal, eventually. If I ever get around to working at it... and Email could either be switched there, or to critter.net.
So. Gut-check time for me. Do I sell it? Do I keep it? Should I raise the price? (There's already been a bump from their initial offer of $1200 if I can have the domain transferred within a week, rather than my initial estimate of 2-3 weeks to transfer.).
What do you think, folks? This is.. big stuff. I could use advice. $1400 is a lot of money. But once mongoose.net is gone, it's gone.
It'd be hard for any of us to say, Chia. I guess it really depends on how badly you need the money. If you need the money than I would sell. If you don't need the money than ...think about it some more. Personally, I'd sell. But then again I'm a greedy lil fennec. :) But just know this. Whatever decision you make doesn't affect your friend's attitude toward you. :)
Oh, boy, that's hard. A month's pay is good, but I'd hate to lose Mongoose.net -- as a touchstone, if slightly dated one, for furry links from my viewpoint; I'd hate to lose it for simple sentimentality if I owned it. As a friend I wouldn't hold it against you if you did sell off the domain, mind.
I suppose it comes down to how hungry you are; hunger simplifies problems that way. If the payment would get you out of a nasty hole, absolutely, go right ahead. If you're already comfortable and the money would be more cushion but not urgently needed, i think I'd keep the domain. As you say, once it's gone, it's gone for an indefinite time. (This is useless advice if you're ahead but don't have a useful savings reserve.) I'm just reluctant to sell off the irreplaceable.
Well, a quick sum-up of my financial situation: Debt of about $4500 in loans and credit cards, $2200 to family. I pull in just about $1400 a month. So.. it's a months pay. It'd be very helpful, though not vital- my debt's been getting paid down steadily, albeit slowly.
Once gone.. I don't expect to get it back, no. Sentimentality, status, and convenience are the three cons: They're being weighed verus fourteen hundred pros. Meef.
That's a really tough call. I know how money is important (starving student here! *laugh*, but how much does the domain mean to you? What are they planning on using the domain for (what type of site)?
Do what feels best for you. As easy as it would be to switch over to other domains, maybe this one means a little more to you?
Mewp. T-T Dunno what to do, the site would be a nice thing to have but if ya really need money, mew.. ._. *SniffleSniffle, rolls around like a confused kitten*
|Date:||April 4th, 2004 11:51 pm (UTC)|| |
Sometimes they offer you money, then when you say yes they sue you for domain squatting and try to get it for free.
Well, that's one reason I'm keeping a copy of every missive sent me. I think that the mongoose.net Anthroportal, admittedly inactive, is enough to establish I'm not keeping the domain for squatting purposes; If that's the angle being worked on a scam, though.. carefully noted.
Yes, I am worried this will be a scam of some form. I'm going to be very smart about making sure the money is delivered in a money order or Cashier's Check; I've asked som piercing questions in my latest reply to this person (explaining, of course, it's solely due to my concern over receiving value if I do sell the domain name..).
What would they do with it? That would be my criteria. $1400 is just enough to compensate you for domain name stuff and the annoyance of having to switch e-mail and stuff.
Well, the cash is worth a bit more than that to me. Yes, there's an emotional, convenience, and coolness loss, in present and future; but $1400 is a big chunk of money for me. As said, that's a no-exaggeration month's pay. That's a big chew-down of debt for me, and a big step on the road to improved finances.
As for what they're doing with it, they've said it will be 'An online auction store'. With some reasearch, I've found out the buyers are known to be Googledancers, though, with eBay as a focus. So it's not likely to become a really wonderful site.. but, on the other hand, it won't be porn. :P
Anyhoo.. I sent back an email saying, in effect, "The price is $1500 upon reflection, final offer, FedEx me the Cashier's Check or Money Order if you want it." The die is cast now.. we'll see if they agree, and then we'll see if the payment arrives, and then.. domain havoc to be worked out with them and with Francisco (Who I need to mail some help-out funds, regardless of what happens.)
Funny I just found your LiveJournal... to see this post.
I really, really hope you'll let me know if you decide to sell mongoose.net so I can back up my site, pal. ;)
Oh, and hi! :)